With the start of a new year, many couples are looking for fresh starts and resolutions for the upcoming year. For those couples who are newly engaged or in the midst of planning a wedding, it is important to set goals in preparation for their upcoming marriage. Here are some resolutions that newly engaged couples should consider to help them create a stronger bond and a solid foundation for their life together:
1. Continue Getting to Know Each Other: Take the time to really learn about each other’s likes, dislikes, dreams, and goals. Whether it’s spending time together going on dates, or having meaningful conversations about the future, getting to know each other is a great way to kick off the new year and start the journey together. Where do you see yourselves in 5, 10, 15 years?
2. Create a Budget: Setting up a budget and knowing how you will manage your finances as a couple is a great way to start the year off on the right foot. Start by assessing your joint income, current debts and expenses, and create a plan for how you will manage your funds. Remember to leave room for important life goals, such as retirement and education costs, and save for those things too.
3. Focus on Communication: Open and honest communication is essential for a successful marriage. If you and your partner are already good communicators, then great! If not, try to work on your communication skills this year. Be sure to talk openly and honestly about how you both feel and be willing to compromise on life’s decisions.
4. Make Time for Each Other: With hectic work schedules, social obligations, and other commitments, it can be difficult to make time for each other. This year, be purposeful about scheduling time for the two of you. It can be as simple as going out for a nice dinner once a week, hosting a game night, or going for a walk together. Get those moments into the calendar!
5. Set Relationship Goals: Goals can be a great way to keep your relationship healthy and strong. It could be anything from having monthly date nights to visiting a new place together or trying a new hobby. Setting relationship goals can help keep your relationship focused and help to make sure that you are both contributing to the marriage.
6. Find Ways to Express Your Love: For many couples, it’s easy to get caught up in the craziness of life and forget to show your love and appreciation for one another. Whether it’s sending a cute text in the morning or leaving a voicemail throughout the day, remember to express your love and appreciation for each other in tangible ways.
Making New Year’s resolutions as a couple is a great way to kick off the new year and start your marriage off on the right foot. From getting to know each other better to setting financial and relationship goals, resolutions can be a fun and helpful way to help create a strong foundation for your life together.